Cooking in the Campo: Tortillas and Salsa from Scratch
Come spend the day with us in the beautiful campo of San Agustín Yatareni as we learn to make tortillas and salsa completely from scratch. This process, called “nixtamalización”, is just one of the ancestral culinary treasures that we tend to replace with mechanized processes in the bustle of the restaurant scene around the world. But guess what? It´s not the same.
If you´ve tasted a tortilla made from corn ground via mortar and pestle, mixed by hand, patted with love and cooked to perfection on a comal, you know that the final product is nothing like the machine-made version.
Doña Juana, who has impressed all of our guests with her delectable tamales and memorable salsas, is teaming up with Tlayudona to offer this experience to learn the art behind Oaxaca´s gastronomic pillar: the tortilla.
What to Expect
Step Two: Once we’ve found a date that works for our hosts and for your group, we will send you a Paypal request for a deposit for your experience or an invitation to sign up using our website calendar. (Feel free to check our calendar for the experiences we currently have confirmed!) *
*Your experience will be open to additional folks to join unless your group is composed of 6+ people or you reserve a private experience at an additional cost.
You can see our refund policy here.
Step Three: We will meet you at Tlayudona, located inside the Plaza San Cristóbal in street M. Bravo 210 local C, Centro.
- Round trip transportation leaving from/returning to Tlayudona (210 C , M. Bravo Street, Inside the Plaza San Cristobal in the heart of Oaxaca’s Centro District).
- An in-depth exploration of the tortilla-making process
- Walk to the local mill to grind corn
- The opportunity to grind corn by hand and using a hand-powered grinder
- All ingredients to prepare a delicious tortilla and salsa brunch, which Doña Juana will complement with eggs on the comal and other treats.
- Agua de sabor and typical snacks
- All materials necessary to follow our Covid Protocol
Logistics and Cost
Time Involvement – Approximately 4-5 hours
Transportation – Provided by Tlayudona to Yatareni
Costs and Minimums – 1,700 MXN
Discount: 5 or more people 1,600 MXN
Minimum: 3 people*
(*2 people can attend this experience by paying an additional fee of 700 MXN to cover costs)
This experience takes place in the countryside and Doña Juana and her family are opening their home to us. There are children and animals on-site, so guests who are not fond of one or the other are encouraged to reserve an alternate experience. Bathroom facilities are available, though rustic. This experience takes us to the heart of authentic country life in Oaxaca.