Hands-on Dyeing and Weaving Intensive Workshop
Our dyeing host from Teotitlán, Doña Josefina from the women´s collective, is hosting this multiple day hands-on workshop in which you will be able to dye a range of natural colors from organic pigments, and then weave your own small piece to take home. We can arrange this experience for a minimum of two complete days, and up to a week of intense learning. Information below is based upon two days of immersion. Discounts apply for longer immersion periods.
Las Mujeres que Tejen were the first group of women to organize in Teotitlán, so that their work could be collectivized and they´d have the opportunity to sell in a traditionally male-dominated marketplace. This enabled them to organize other tasks like childcare and cooking so that they could weave and also sell their own work. Many years later, their project is still in motion, although you can bear witness to a lot of changes in the village surrounding them.
During this immersion experience, Doña Josefina is inviting us to her collective´s space for a talk about women´s experience in weaving, organizing, and breaking boundaries in a village known for its strict adherence to traditions as well as the hands-on opportunity to dye and create a piece of your own.
She will show us a bit about how natural colors are extracted and how their rugs are made. We´ll learn about how cochineal reds, indigo blues, and marigold yellows are created, for example. Each of us can get a chance to get our hands into the mix, grinding ingredients by hand and bearing witness to the sheer strength that this work requires. The first day of the workshop will be dedicated to dyeing natural wool and other items with a range of plant and other organic pigments. Doña Josefina will also fill our bellies with a hearty typical brunch and lunch over the course of the day so that we have the energy to sustain our work.The second day of the workshop will be dedicated to weaving techniques, and you will each be able to weave your own small piece to take home.
What to Expect
Step Two: Once we’ve found a date that works for our hosts and for your group, we will send you a Paypal request for a deposit for your experience or an invitation to sign up using our website calendar. (Feel free to check our calendar for the experiences we currently have confirmed!) *
*Your experience will be open to additional folks to join unless your group is composed of 6+ people or you reserve a private experience at an additional cost.
You can see our refund policy here.
Step Three: We will meet you at Tlayudona, located inside the Plaza San Cristóbal in street M. Bravo 210 local C, Centro.
- Transportation to and from Teotitlán (leaving from/returning to Tlayudona)
- Spanish to English translation if necessary
- All materials necessary to dye and weave your own piece (although you are permitted to bring additional materials to experiment with)
- Personal instruction from Doña Josefina and her family
- Almuerzo (brunch) and Lunch (please advise us of any dietary restrictions in advance)
- The opportunity to purchase rugs and other items directly from the women of the collective
- All products necessary for sanitization and to maintain our Covid Protocol.
Logistics and Cost
Time Involvement – 18 Hours over 2 days
Transportation – Transportation is provided from your home, hotel, or a central location to Teotitlán del Valle.
Costs and Minimums – 5,000 MXN pp. This course can be divided or purchased as a 1-day course for 2,600 MXN per day.
Bring: Water bottles, optional extra organic/natural dyeing materials
There is a minimum of 2 people for this experience. (If you are super interested in going and we are unable to find additional participants on your available day, we can send you by yourself for an additional quota of 700 MXN to cover the expense of our driver/translator.)*
* We pride ourselves on our inclusive experiences with no hidden costs or extras. However we are aware, from experience, that many of you come to Oaxaca specifically for this particular experience and we want to make sure that you get your opportunity! You can pay your 700 MXN quota directly in cash during your experience, and it is only necessary if there are no additional participants in order to cover costs.