- Apr 14 2024
- 10:00 - 13:30
Paint and Sip: Alebrijes with Alex
This is our original alebrije-painting experience, featuring our favorite dynamic alebrije family from the village of Tilcajete, where this artisan tradition has been handed down for several generations.
Join us in learning about the history and culture of this iconic colorful art form. Alex, our fourth generation alebrije artist, will walk you through each stage of the process that transformed your chosen alebrije from a tree in the foothills of his village to our table at Tlayudona. You will get to sip on locally-harvested specialty coffee and wild ancestral mezcal amongst friends while you paint your alebrije.
This is the perfect hands-on activity for those of you who want to remain in the city center, but who also want an authentic dose of rural Oaxacan charm, colors, and flavors! You’ll get the basics–color theory, design, symbolism, and some anecdotal information. Discover the history of Oaxaca’s most renowned alebrije village, its craft, and the significance that these vibrant creatures hold today while creating lasting memories and connections. We can’t wait to see you!
- Oaxacan Coffee and/or Mezcal and cookies
- Paint, brushes, smock, and any other materials necessary to paint your alebrije
- Your choice of a 3-5 inch alebrije
- Instruction by a master alebrije -maker from Tilcajete
- A print-out of patterns/colors to guide you while you paint
- Spanish/English translation