- Jun 22 2022
Hands-on Afternoons: Weaving in Teotitlán for Adults DAY ONE
Our dyeing host from Teotitlán, Doña Josefina from the women´s collective, is hosting this workshop in which you will be able to weave your own small piece to take home.
Join us and the women´s weaving collective in Teotitlán del Valle, the village known for it´s use of natural dyes in the weaving of gorgeous “tapetes” (rugs) and other linens. Las Mujeres que Tejen were the first group of women to organize in Teotitlán, so that their work could be collectivized and they´d have the opportunity to sell in a traditionally male-dominated marketplace. This enabled them to organize other tasks like childcare and cooking so that they could weave and also sell their own work. Many years later, their project is still in motion, although you can bear witness to a lot of changes in the village surrounding them.
During this immersion experience, Doña Josefina is inviting us to her collective´s space for a talk about women´s experience in weaving, organizing, and breaking boundaries in a village known for its strict adherence to traditions as well as the hands-on opportunity to dye and create a piece of your own.
Doña Josefina will also fill our bellies with a hearty typical brunch and lunch over the course of the day so that we have the energy to sustain our work.
This workshop will be dedicated to weaving techniques, and you will each be able to weave your own small piece to take home.
- Transportation to and from Teotitlán (leaving from/returning to Tlayudona)
- Spanish to English translation if necessary
- All materials necessary to weave your own piece (although you are permitted to bring additional materials to experiment with)
- Personal instruction from Doña Josefina and her family
- Lunch (please advise us of any dietary restrictions in advance)
- The opportunity to purchase rugs and other items directly from the women of the collective
Where: Teotitlán del Valle (Transportation leaves from Tlayudona at 1 pm 210 C M.Bravo )
Bring: Water bottles, extra organic/natural dyeing materials
Cost: 1,750 per person (1 p.m.- 6:30 p.m. including comida/lunch).
This workshop was designed for two afternoons of weaving. You must to buy both days to be able to finish the piece.