- Dec 21 2022
- 09:00 - 12:00
Hidden Gems of Oaxaca Architectural Stroll
This event is led by the architect and restoration specialist Flor Cantón. We´ll be discovering the footprints left by Oaxaca´s fascinating history as we take a walk around the city´s center. This tour delves into an exploration of often-overlooked or seemingly “hidden” gems throughout Oaxaca´s downtown.
Do you know the history of how Jalatlaco evolved from one of Oaxaca´s least desirable neighborhoods to the favored zone it is today? Do you know which craft store in the center holds an emblematic painting done by the first Dominican priests? How about which common store close to the zocalo was home to the city´s first school for girls? We´ll delve into all of this and much more on this walk.
Flor is a talented architect and restoration specialist in Oaxaca City, and has a penchant for remembering fascinating recondite historical details. Her passion for history and architecture is omnipresent, and she´ll guide us in seeing the cultural patrimony that has been woven and constructed throughout Oaxaca with new eyes.
We´ll start off at Tlayudona (210 C, M. Bravo Street, Inside of the San Cristobal Plaza, Colonia Centro), where Flor will present us with some historical/architectural background pertinent to the tour. Then we´ll head out, where we´ll traverse some of Oaxaca´s popular downtown streets and buildings, only we´ll be reading between the lines. We´ll identify some of the original houses from the colonization-era of Oaxaca, as well as the first schools, military barracks, and homes of the first religious congregations. We´ll finish up in the “Pañuelito” on the side of Santo Domingo.
- Time Frame: 2.5-3 hours
- Language: Flor will host this experience in Spanish, and it will be translated into English if/when necessary.
- Bring: Water, a hat/sunscreen, and comfortable shoes for walking.
- Cost: 890 MXN per person.
- Minimum: 2 people
- Maximum: 8 people, due to the nature of the walk, street noise, etc, so reserve your spots with anticipation. Children ages 10 and up are welcome to participate, although this tour is geared toward adults.
- Disclaimer: *This is not your typical “Oaxaca Overview” tour, as we´ll be skipping over some of the most renowned architectural sites in the city, choosing to really “see” some of the many architectural details that Oaxaca´s fascinating history has left us hidden in plain sight. Would you like to arrange this experience as a women’s travel opportunity? Contact us to schedule your personalized women’s “Hidden Gems” walking tour for your small group.