- Sep 01 2023
- 10:00 - 16:00
Cooking in the Campo: Mole Negro
We cannot imagine anything better than expanding our popular Cooking in the Campo experiences to include this emblematic Oaxacan dish. You cannot visit Oaxaca without trying the moles, with mole negro at the top of the list!
Here’s the perfect opportunity to not only taste this Oaxacan delicacy but to make it from scratch. What more? We will get to incorporate ingredients from the harvest of Juana’s sustenance farm!
Your mole negro experience will include the following*:
- Round-trip transportation from/to Tlayudona in the center (M. Bravo St. #210C)
- Spanish/English translation if wanted/needed
- The opportunity to learn from milpa master, Doña Juana
- A trip to a local seed/chiles-in-bulk store to learn how to pick the best ingredients for your mole
- Quesadillas and salsa made from Juana’s home-grown ingredients
- Guidance preparing the chiles for the mole and practice using a grinding stone
- A trip to the local mill to grind the rest of the ingredients
- Start-to-finish mole negro preparation
- A delicious mole and chicken lunch (or mole and vegetable medley for vegetarians)
- Complimentary mezcal
*Afternoon experiences do not include breakfast or the trip to the seed store, due to reduced hours.
This is a culinary experience, so we need to know of your food preferences and allergies in advance. Since this a group course, vegetarians can sign-up and your veg-friendly mole will be prepared separately, but chicken/chicken stock will not be omitted from the rest of the experience unless the entire group is vegetarian.
Minimum: 3 people.
(*2 people can attend this experience by paying an additional fee of 700 MXN to cover costs)