Roast Your Own Oaxacan Specialty Coffee
This experience follows our new Covid Protocol. Please make sure to go over our protocol and to only reserve an experience if you´re in complete agreement with the terms.
This course will be private for your group of 1-4 and will require the use of masks at all times unless while tasting coffee.
The holy grail of coffee courses, we will be delving into “Coffee Roasting Chemistry 101” and the amazing juncture between the art of roasting coffee and the science behind the process. We´ll conduct ample tastings while looking over the SCAA flavour wheel, so make sure to arrive with your belly full and ready to receive an abundance of amazing coffee! We´ll briefly analyze green coffee beans in order to identify common defects and attributes, and for the rest of the class, we´ll be roasting.
You´ll select unroasted beans from our premium selection of Oaxacan specialty coffee and, after learning to roast hands-on, will get to roast your own coffee by yourself (with guided instruction and an on-hand fire extinguisher, of course)! The glorious moment when you decide your batch is roasted to perfection and pull the lever is all yours. You will be able to take home two heaping 450 g bags of coffee from your roasting session. (We have taken your feedback into consideration, since we used to send you away from this experience with just one bag, but visitors have told us they enter with the intention of coming out with a gift for someone in their lives but always end up keeping the coffee for themselves!)
There will be an emphasis on the importance of highest-grade, specialty coffee. This course will be contextualized in Oaxaca, with an emphasis on its surrounding pueblos and local producers. To us at Tlayudona and Cafébre, conscious and mutually-beneficial relationships with local producers and community members are of the utmost importance.
What to Expect
Step One: Read our Covid Protocol. If you agree with these terms and practices, write to us and request this experience, telling us how many people are in your small group and what your dates of availability are.
Step Two: Once we’ve found a date that works for our hosts and for your group, we will send you a Paypal request for a deposit for your experience. This deposit is non-refundable. In case of an emergency with our hosts, we will do our best to reschedule with you at a mutually-convenient time. If that is not possible, we will refund your deposit.
Step Three: See you there! Come with your belly full so that it can handle all the caffeine goodness!
- 2 bags of highest-quality specialty Oaxacan coffee scouted out and chosen specifically by Cafébre to reflect their commitment to specialty-grade quality and to stimulating the local market
- Cafébre´s artisan hand-printed bags in which to bag up your goods
- Instruction by some of Oaxaca´s most dedicated young professionals in the coffee scene
- An introduction to quality and specialty coffee, the flavour wheel, defects and attributes commonly found in coffee
- An analysis of green coffee
- An introduction on how to cup coffee in order to highlight quality and consistency or to weed out defects
- An overview of the instrumental scientific processes and curves behind a good roast
- Discussion regarding personal taste and the subjective, artistic element of roasting
- The climactic moment of truth, when you decide your coffee is roasted to perfection and pull the lever accordingly
- The best caffeine buzz in Oaxaca, in Cafébre´s cozy, boho-chic, Oaxaca de Juárez downtown location
- Snacks and a great time
Logistics and Cost
Time Involvement – Approximately 4 hours
Transportation – Not included
Costs and Minimums – 2,800 MXN
Book 2 or more people together and pay 2,500 MXN per person
There is a minimum of 1 and a maximum of 4 people (booked as part of the same party) for this experience.