Roast Your Own Oaxacan Specialty Coffee
Are you ready to learn to roast the perfect batch? This is an experience for coffee lovers, whether you are new to the scene or already have some background knowledge. We´ll conduct ample tastings while looking over the flavor wheel, so make sure to arrive with your belly full and ready to receive an abundance of amazing coffee! You will learn how to cup coffee, identify your likes (and dislikes) and roastthe perfect batch according to your personal flavor profile. We’ll pull out a range of real fruits and exotic flavors during this process. The glorious moment occurs when you decide your batch is roasted to perfection and you pull the lever –this moment is all yours! You will be able to take home three decorative bags of your personally-roasted coffee.
This experience is contextualized in Oaxaca, with an emphasis on its surrounding pueblos and local producers. To us at Tlayudona and Cafébre, conscious and mutually-beneficial relationships with local producers and community members are of the utmost importance.
What to Expect
Step One: Write to us and request this experience, telling us how many people are in your small group and what your dates of availability are. This experience is easiest to arrange within the host’s availability, which is generally Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturday mornings (exceptions can be made for larger groups or with advanced notice).
Step Two: Once we’ve found a date that works for our hosts and for your group, we will send you a Paypal request for a deposit for your experience. This deposit is non-refundable. In case of an emergency with our hosts, we will do our best to reschedule with you at a mutually-convenient time. If that is not possible, we will refund your deposit.
- 3 – 250 g of highest-quality specialty Oaxacan coffee scouted out and chosen specifically by Cafébre to reflect their commitment to the local market
- Cafébre´s artisan hand-printed bags in which to bag up your goods
- Instruction by some of Oaxaca´s most dedicated young professionals in the coffee scene
- An introduction to quality and specialty coffee, the flavour wheel, defects and attributes commonly found in coffee
- An introduction on how to cup coffee in order to highlight quality and consistency or to weed out defects
- Discussion regarding personal taste and the subjective, artistic element of roasting
- The climactic moment of truth, when you decide your coffee is roasted to perfection and pull the lever accordingly
- The best caffeine buzz in Oaxaca, in Cafébre´s cozy, boho-chic, Oaxaca de Juárez downtown location
- Snacks and a great time
Logistics and Cost
Time Involvement – 2 Hours
Transportation – None. This experience is conveniently located in the city center.
Costs and Minimums – 1,900 MXN pp
We offer a discounted rate of 1,750 MXN pp when signing up 2 or more people
Do let us know if you have experience in the coffee industry so that we can gear this experience toward your knowledge-base accordingly.